Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Kettlebells: Harder Than They Appear

I'm always and almost routinely amazed by how I can constantly challenge myself with even light KBs.

The toll KBs place on the body are nothing short of astounding. Tuesdays and Fridays are my KB days, with Monday and Thursdays being my platform days. Today's training session was focused on putting on some muscle, so there was some "time under tension" so-to-speak. I thought it would be a simple session, but I had to adjust on the fly because after the first set, I knew I was in trouble.

I performed a Double KB Front Squat with 2x32kgs. Easy in and of itself. After each rep, I performed a Double Military Press. Again, pretty simple. (Note: This is not a "thruster." There is a distinct pause between the finish of the FSQ and the MP--no momentum from the squat to drive the press.) However, I'm working this bone rhythm thing and it's a real challenge, so my FSQs are a little slower than normal.

My intent was to pump up the volume and hit this for 10 sets of 5 with 2 minutes of rest. Didn't happen. After the first set I decided to perform a descending ladder of 5,4,3,2,1 and to repeat it. I performed 3 ladders. Probably should've stopped at 2. Tomorrow will tell. Anyway, I was sweating buckets. My right hammie was fully active and talking to me.

I love the KB FSQ. It's such a different animal than its barbell cousin. It doesn't really tax my legs, just the rest of my body!

My goal will be 2x40kg for 10 sets of 5. Gotta make it through the 32's first, though.

Yesterday was a platform day. Here's the session:

A. Power Snatch, above knee: 4's; 2 mins rest
50kg/4, 55/4, 60/4, 65/4, 70/4, 75/4, 80/4; used straps on the last 2 sets--too hot and sweaty palms interfering with grip and therefore the lift

B. Power Clean above knee + Push Press: 4's; 2 mins rest
80/4+4, 85/4+4, 90/4+4, 95/4+4, 100/4+4
Sweating bullets after this one.

Knee held up pretty well. Left one was a little sore this AM.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brett Jones said...

Geoff,
You have got love the "mmm - I better rethink this" moments of "program design"!
KB front squats are good!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Franz Snideman said...

Agree! The Front squat with kettlebells are amazing! Different groove for sure, and a different type of stress.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home