Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I Survived.

Feel good today after the platform yesterday. I can therefore only conclude one of two things:
  1. It'll all hit me tomorrow.
  2. The Z on my left shoulder and the Z bone rhythm work on my right leg specifically is working.

I'd like to think "#2."

I'm really enjoying (what a strange word to apply to my training...as opposed to compulsion...) the Z-based lunges. They work the snot out of my legs and for the first time in my life (training life) that I can remember, I am able to lunge routinely without pain in the right knee. What a fantastic feeling! Not only that, they continue to build muscle in all the right places. Today, I performed them with the KB in the press lockout position, again, on the opposite arm from the lunge leg. This position has been instrumental, even critical, in the newfound functioning of the leg.

I'm very interested to see how my squat session on the June 5th is going to go based on how well these lunges are working.

Today's session:

A. KB Press: 40kg/6 x5 sets; 3 minutes rest (I forgot what a great protocol this is for myofibrillar hypertrophy--I'm not a "pump-chaser" but you sure get one with this.)

B. Overhead KB Contralateral Z-based Lunge: 16kg/5+5 x 7 sets; 2 minutes rest. This felt so good I was compelled to keep going.

C. RowPUPs, one arm at at time: 24kg/5+5 x3; 60 seconds rest.

Some metabolic work tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike T Nelson said...

Great stuff as always Geoff.

How are you doing the Z based lunges?

Are you doing them as a strict lunge in tall spine? Or are you doing the myofascial version (hips facing forward, arms out, upper body rotated 45 degrees or so and head facing forward as you lunge)?

Brad "No Relation" Nelson showed me the myofascial version and I just started playing with that now that my visual and vestibular should be clear (will have it checked again in July).

Mike N

7:24 PM  
Blogger Geoff Neupert said...

Mike--strict stationary lunges in long spine. I haven't tried the myofascial version. Must be from I-[don't-have-it-yet] Phase. What are your results from them?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Mike T Nelson said...

I will keep you updated on the myofascial version. I started on the long spine lunges back in Oct and they are harder than I thought with just BW! Yikes.
I am still "wound" more to the left, so I do the myofascial version with my upper body rotated to the right. They sound easy, but far from it (to do correctly). I just started doing only a few reps each day in each I Phase foot position after I do my R Phase/I Phase combo. I will keep you updated. I can feel that rotation to my left and right is more "even" after doing them. I am also experimenting with more I Phase work also.

Are you doing I Phase in AZ in July? Come join the fun! I will be there and I know Andrea DuCane is planning to go also.

I also signed up for RKC here in Oct, so bring the pain.
Mike N

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home