Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Spirit Is Willing...

...but the flesh is weak...as the old saying goes.

This past week I've struggled to iron out the problems with this left hip.

I've decided to do what I can do, and do a lot of high quality "that" in order to build muscle. I'm also using patterns and movements that I believe I am currently weak in that will serve as assistance lifts to my lifting.

One such movement is the 45 degree hyperextension. This blasts my hamstrings more than anything I currently do. In fact, I feel weak as a kitten. I am only performing sets of 10 with just my bodyweight. My hamstrings have been perpetually sore from this exercise for the last week. I'll be interested to see the carryover to the platform.

I'm also moving to an upper/lower split to 4 sessions per week. This allows me to put more volume in. Currently, the only kettlebell exercise included is the single arm press. I cannot currently perform ballistics due to hip compensation except for lifts on the right side. The good news is the Z-Health eye work seems to be helping. Patterns are slowly starting to normalize.

Eventually, I will get into barbell and kettlebell complexes along with some lower rep/higher volume lower body training. To make up for this lack of stimulation, I am performing "heavy" support work twice a week--once for the squat and once for the deadlift. It feels good to get under some heavy weight.

Today's training session:

A. Military Press, barbell, 3RM, then 80% for 5,4,3,2,1,4,3,2,1
90kg/3, then 70kg/5,4,3,2,1,4,3,2,1
The descending ladders are to minimize fatigue but keep the quality of work high.

B. Underhand Bent over Barbell Rows, 4x8
40kg/8, 50kg/8, 60kg/8 x2.
I perform only overhand pulling so I thought it might be time for a change. Much weaker than I thought...

C. Parallel Dips, bodyweight only, with scapular depression 2-3x10

D. 45 Degree Hyperextension 5x10, 60s rest
Bodyweight with stick on traps (BSQ position)

Training felt good overall today. Weird not squatting or pulling. Will pull on Thursday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Franz Snideman said...

Good to see you training. That hip has been bugging you for a while. Do you think it's a capsular issue?

11:45 AM  
Blogger Geoff Neupert said...

Sure is--but it's the hip I've got all the damage on/in. Seems to be clearing up with some eye work combined with Z though...Thanks for asking...

9:40 PM  
Blogger Franz Snideman said...

cool. At least you can train and do stuff!!!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff,
Have you done any Super Slow shoulder work? Or combined Super Slow shoulder work with eye positions?

Just curious if your NS response has changed any to performing any of those drills. ;-)

KB

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home