Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Fog of War

It's sometimes said that battle clouds your judgment. That was the case yesterday. Saturday and Sunday were both tough and although not physically that demanding they took their toll emotionally and psychologically, and by Monday, I knew which direction I needed to travel, but wasn't sure how exactly to get there. My internal compass was no longer working.

Fortunately, I'm still on great speaking terms with my old coach, Alfonso Duran. That was pretty much the training session. I did get in some snatch work, but only a little and it wasn't the high quality that I required. So I made the call. One thing I really admire about Alfonso is the way he makes lifting so simple. He reminded me of what I already knew, what I'd already used, what I'd been successful at, and what I needed to do to get back on track. The answer was so, so simple. I applied what I had been reminded of today and had a great session. Everybody needs an Alfonso.

Today:

A. Clean from High Point + P. Jerk (add a squat after P. Cl's)
70kg/2, 90/1 x2, 100/1, 110/1, 120/1, 130/x (right elbow touch + press out on Jerk), 130/1
These are where they need to be--approx. 80% of projected competition clean

B. Clean Pull from Above Knee
130kg/3, 140/3, 150/3
Surprisingly easy, although coordination is off slightly.

I was going to hit a double session, but it's been at least 3 years since I've jumped under 130kg from this position and I'd never done it pain free before. I'd decided to walk away and save it for tomorrow. One PR a day is fine for me--for now.

Tomorrow may be my last day of training this week although I will attempt to squeeze a session in early Thursday AM before I head out to the RKC.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug Nepodal Sr. RKC said...

Just picked up R-phase will report back soon

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home