Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Talked Myself Down, But Not Out

Felt tired all day today, but alert. Must've been the two big cups of coffee this afternoon.

I experienced some old-school sharp pain on 3 (out of 20) of my snatches tonight, the last one with 90kg. Normally, I would've pushed through. Post/Intra-Z, I would've stopped. I did neither. I talked myself down. David Butler, of the NOI Group, explains in his outstanding book, Explain Pain, that pain lives in the brain, not at the site of injury. It is the brain's way of sensing danger. So, remembering this, I quickly and audibly told my body and my brain that I was fine--my knee was no longer in danger, and this was just my brain's response to a perceived old motor pattern which was dangerous.

My next rep was pain-free. And so was my last rep in which I pulled myself under the bar.

I proceeded to cleans where I remained pain-free even though I was pulling from the "Danger Zone," or the place/position I am most likely to destroy the remaining cartilage in my patella. Good thing I did the work with the tape job.

Checked the posture and the ROM along with mental outlook as I left: Improved--a sign of a good training session.

I will continue to remember tonight's valuable lesson: I can talk myself out of pain and that I have done the necessary work to prepare me to be on the platform. I know how to control my brain in order to control my body. I am amazed at how powerful the brain is.

Tonight's training:

A. (Power Snatch above knee + Classic Snatch from High Point)/2; 5 mins. rest between sets
50kg/2, 60/2, 70/2, 80/2, 90/2

B. (Power Clean above knee + Classic Clean from High Point)/2; 5 mins. rest between sets
70kg/2, 80/2, 90/2, 100/2, 110/2
110kg felt like the best lift of the night. Great way to finish.

1 Comments:

Blogger Frankie Faires said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home