Monday, September 10, 2007

Mmmm...Sore Legs...

...which can only mean one thing: Squats...

...which can only mean one thing: joints functioning properly so muscles functioning properly. Adductors, hamstrings, and glutes all sore, especially the left glute and bilateral adductors; quads--not-so-much.

Went to the platform Saturday and trained smart.

A. Power Snatch, AK: 50kg/3 x2; 60/2; 70/2 x10; 100 degrees in warehouse, so rested as needed.

B. Complex: Snatch Pull, AK + P. Sn., AK + O. Sq. + Pressing Snatch Balance: (50kg/2+2+2+2) x4

C. Back Squat: 70kg/6; 100kg/6 x4 sets; 2 minutes rest. Adductors and Hams turned on after the second set. Good stuff--just like old times, except without the knee pain and with much less weight. But gotta [re]start somewhere.

Went for a 90 minute walk yesterday, which I try to do most weekends.

I'm thinking about going back to a beginner's type training protocol: 3 days per week with the Olympic stuff, every other day--probably Su-T-Th. On 3 of the other days per week, Z and KBs to counteract the bilateral work. Don't know for sure yet, but will probably get more serious about this in October after I come back from CA. It would be great to think I could hit a token meet and qualify for American's in December. That would be a personal milestone.

Going to the beach this Thursday and will have Thursday and Friday to myself--Court will be joining me Saturday. One of my clients is kind enough to let me use her place right on the beach. Very cool. Should be very relaxing. KBs will travel with me though.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

this is the best plan yet. I like the idea of balancing the bilateal work with kbs and the z.makes sense.
Andrea worked z stuff with me all weekend and I had a really good result. I am ordering the r phase manual and dvd and practicing what she showed me.the neural warmup was cool as well.
whats's the z health stance on how to handle deep scar tisuse and adhesion( my knee) ?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

oh yeah, nothing better than the ocean to get you to relax.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Geoff Neupert said...

Rif--I forgot that ADC was there--glad she was able to show you some Z and that you had positive results.

Deep scar tissue? Exactly the opposite of what you're currently doing: Slow, soft, gentle, pain-free release work. Sounds weird, but works great.

As far as the program, yeah, I dunno why I didn't think of it before--I was always trying to fit Z/KBs into a 4 day template--speed/strength. Never worked. I think this is much more realistic plus it gives me mental space from the platform.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Mike T Nelson said...

Rif, glad the Z went well for you! Are you here for the Oct RKC? If so I look forward to meeting you as I will be there doing the cert.

Silly question, how do you know it is scar tissue that is the problem? Personally, I wonder how often this really is a cause. I've had a few cases of very bad shoulder ROM ("frozen" shoulder type things) and many times they responded amazingly well to some Z Health in less than an hour total time (never touched their shoulders in both extreme cases). I doubt there is much scar tissue remodeling that happens acutely then.

I still think that it can be an issue, but I don't believe it is as common as we believe. Again, I don't have much evidence to back that up; but maybe others do.

Keep us updated on the Z work!
Mike N

11:26 AM  
Blogger Mike T Nelson said...

Geoff--

Sounds like it is going well--sweet!

I agree that you will get some soreness once you get all those muscles to work correctly, but I noticed in myself that once I get everything firing pretty good, my most profound soreness is in the areas where my mobility is not quite up to par yet (low back and thoracic in my case). Just wondering if you have noticed this?

Mike N

11:30 AM  
Blogger Mark Reifkind said...

geoff,

this is the point I've been trying to make; my methods for reducing scar tissue, increasing mobility, etc ARE working.. For me and my clients. Can Z help as well? Can it do it better and faster? Perhaps. But for you to say that it doesnt is just wrong. I dont TRY to increase pain, and as we've said, pain is relative.Does the foam roller hurt a bit? yes it can but it also dissipates very quickly.
The new G5 massager I use doesnt hurt at all and the stretching work I do doesnt include pain either.
I just wish that the Z side of the equation would recognize that the old modalities,while perhaps not as quick as Z still have their usage. Otherwise you are implying that Rolfing, ART, myofascial release, et al are worthless and there is too much evidence to the contrary to go down that road.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Geoff Neupert said...

Rif--Excuse me--that's not what I am trying to say. I'm sorry it comes off that way. Glad you're doing it without pain. Keep doing it without pain. But what I am saying is that Z methods do work better. It's just understanding how to apply them (which I'm getting a handle on finally).

Here's my point: all of those modalities work some of the time, but not ALL of the time. What we need is a system that works all the time. Z, when applied correctly, is that system. Here's the contrast: the other systems that you mentioned even when applied correctly, don't always work. That's how I found Z.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home