Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hip Bone Rhythms

Just a quick follow up tonight.

I'm pretty much out of pain. Some occasional discomfort when squatting.

I was able to throw the weightlifting shoes on tonight and overhead squat pain/discomfort free for 2x5 with the bar. Woo-hoo. I then threw 60kg on and back squatted 2x5 pain free.

Here are some things I noticed:
  • All rhythms were off but were pretty well cleaned up by the last rep
  • My weight was primarily on the heels--It shouldn't be. It should be in the whole foot. I eventually got it there and even loaded the big toe (increases ankle mobility and stretches flexor hallicus longus, which when contracted contributes to plantarflexion--kinda important for getting out of a squat...)
  • Bar needed to be held in fingertips to keep wrists in extension
  • Taping the right knee changes the entire hip set up--I need to sit back into the left hip more
  • Hip rhythms were especially off, especially the left one. Didn't really fix this until the KB snatches later in the session
  • The overhead squat, particularly the pressing snatch balance version, really allowed for the establishment of the rhythms--perhaps more so than the back squat
I was also able to perform some pain-free lunging for the first time in almost 3 weeks.

On the comeback trail...slowly.

My plans are to finish out this new training plan incorporating a lot of variety for the legs when possible and then get back to a squat cycle.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad your pain is leaving. You will make it.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Mike T Nelson said...

Nice work Geoff. Pain is on the way out.

Silly question, when you compete in Oly lifting, what requirements do they place on shoes? I am assuming you have to use shoes? Can you use a flatter bottom, nike free type design? Does that help or make it worse? Just curious what effect your weightlifting shoes had on your movement.

Personally, I love pulling barefoot, but that is a different movement and meets are run by different rules too.

Mike N

10:42 AM  
Blogger Geoff Neupert said...

Tim--thanks for the encouragement. I have to believe I will make it otherwise what other choice do I have? First, drop into single digit bodyfat land; second, gain 20lbs of muscle; third, back into competition. That's the plan.

Mike--I've wondered the same thing about the rules. I will have to check them. And the BRs change depending on the shoes. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I have to regroove everything do to the knee and the hips. We'll see how long it takes 'til I'm posting videos on youtube like the rest of you guys--right now I'd only embarrass myself (here's Geoff snatching the bar...)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The plan is good...

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home