Thursday, January 24, 2008

9+.

That was the RPE of my squat session yesterday. I hadn't hit a true 9+ in a long, long time. Quite frankly, I don't remember having hit that since I've been back on the platform.

Five weeks ago to the day yesterday, I hit 405lbs/3 on the BSQ. Again, nothing to write home about, but the fact that I'd been able to do it since re-mobilizing myself seemed almost miraculous. I skipped my training on Tuesday due to very poor sleep on Sunday and Monday nights. So, Wednesday, I headed over to my pay-gym and hit the squat rack. I ended up with 11 total reps with 405lbs: 405/1, 405/2 x5 with 2 minutes of rest between each set. Admittedly, I probably shouldn't have taken that last double--barely stood up with the second rep--but there was nowhere to hide. Interestingly, my body reverted back to its old neck position--cervical hyperextension and I mildly strained my neck. No worries though.

I also didn't get full use out of my right leg--perhaps my body was naturally protecting itself. Overall, I probably shouldn't have lifted that heavy, but I had the energy so I went for it. No negative ramifications today other than my left leg is more sore than my right.

The rest of the session was as follows:

B. Isometric Holds: Back Squat: 495/12s x3; 60s rest
These were interesting. They felt good. The last set I actually walked out and set up my squat and lengthed up into the load. I may incorporate these more frequently.

C. Military Press: 135/3, 185/3, 195/3, 205/3, 215/2; 90s rest

D. Chins: Bdwt/4, Bdwt +25lbs/4 x2; 60s rest

After the squats, I just felt like fooling around. However, I was interested to see that my military press was up. I did a similar session 5 weeks ago with 5 minutes of rest between sets.

I guess Progressive Overload still works for me. Again.

As I type, I'm trying to decide what I'll do tonite--perhaps a similar session with lighter loads or just some kettlebell work and reload the volume work next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home